Flaming Lips - 20 Years of Weird: Flaming Lips 1986-2006 CD
20 Years of Weird: Flaming Lips 1986-2006 is an updated version of the free compilation CD given away at the SXSW Film premier of the The Flaming Lips documentary "The Fearless Freaks", a film by Bradley Beesley. It is a predominantly live compilation, recorded throughout the career of the Flaming Lips (between 1986 and 2003), though the first three tracks are recorded in the studio. These are: the introduction by Wayne Coyne, "Free Radicals" from the current album At War with the Mystics and "Enthusiasm for Life Defeats Existential Fear", a previously unavailable track.
Some notable tracks contained on this compilation are "Shine on Sweet Jesus", a track recorded live with a short lived line-up which included Jonathan Donahue (of Mercury Rev), and current Flaming Lips producer Dave Fridmann, also of Mercury Rev. There is also a cover of Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" (sung with the lyrics "Whole Lotta Satan"), which is played before "Cant Stop the Spring". The track "Sleeping on the Roof" is a live recording from the Flaming Lips' "Parking Lot Experiments" in 1996, where the band got some of their fans to play pre-recorded tapes (of music by the band) in their car stereos simultaneously.
- "Waynes Intro.."Smoking a "J" with the Fearless Freaks" - 2:13
- "Free Radicals" - 3:39
- "Enthusiasm for Life Defeats Existential Fear" - 5:04
- "With You" - 3:29
- "Whole Lotta Love/Can't Stop the Spring" - 5:50
- "Shine on Sweet Jesus" - 5:36
- "Space Age Love Song" - 3:59
- "Moth in the Incubator" - 5:37
- "When You Smile/Psychiatric Explorations Of The Fetus With Needles^" - 12:05
- "Sleeping on the Roof" - 14:31
- "The Observer" - 5:15
^ = Not mentioned on CD Tracklist.