Andy Bassford - The Harder They Strum CD
After decades as a first call reggae sideman/session player, guitarist Andy Bassford makes his solo debut with "The Harder They Strum," a largely instrumental, jamming tribute to the seminal movie "The Harder They Come." Recorded mostly live in the studio with a world class cast, "The Harder They Strum" is virtuosic, fun, and accessible. It's perfect party music with a big, full sound and superb production values. "The Harder They Strum" also hangs together as a listening experience. It features rich, textured arrangements, varied instrumentation, lots of improvisation, and a coherent flow from start to finish.
Featuring Jamaican jazz legend Monty Alexander, New Kingston, Sidney Mills (Steel Pulse), Mikey Chung (Sly & Robbie, Compass Point All-Stars), Derrick Barnett (Sagittarius), Larry McDonald (Lee Perry), plus dozens more of NYC's finest singers and players of instruments. Recorded and mixed by "Commissioner Gordon" Williams (Lauryn Hill, Santana) and Liu Ortiz (Shaggy, Keith Richards).
"... the music feels organic and natural, a vital connection to its musical roots, combined with a recording that is sonically up to date in every way. Jamaican music has always been able to capture the vitality of the past while leading the way into the future, this is just a beautiful stop along the way. Highly recommended." - Spill Magazine
- You Can Get It If You Really Want listen
- Stop That Train (Draw Your Brakes) with Monty Alexander and New Kingston listen
- Rivers Of Babylon listen
- Many Rivers To Cross listen
- Sweet And Dandy with Soul Sisters Six listen
- The Harder They Come with George Naha and The Blue People listen
- Johnny Too Bad with New Kingston and The Blue People listen
- 007 (Shanty Town) listen
- Pressure Drop with Soul Sisters Six listen
- Sitting In Limbo with Monty Alexander and New Kingston listen
Released in 2018