Every day we get a mailbox full of packages from bands interested in joining the network. We evaluate each group in several categories including:
- Music - if the music moves us - we'll look at the other categories. If it doesn't - end of process.
- Marketing & Promotions - Is the band working hard to spread the word about their music?
- Touring - bands score higher points when they tour frequently in many regions.
- Online presence - does the band have a website, how well is it maintained? Can they be easily reached via email?
- Organization/Business - Do they have a good team and structure in place to help them grow to the next level?
- Social Media - Do you have good following on your social media sites? Good interaction with your fans? (Facebook, Twitter, Reverbnation, etc, we like our bands to have at least 1.5K+ likes on Facebook, 500+ on Twitter)
Each band has to receive a passing music score from each person at HG Headquarters before other categories are evaluated. Think of it as quality control for your ears. In our opinion, no bad bands make it into the Network.
When bands meet all of our criteria and score high enough they are sent an invitation to join the Network. The invitation explains how the Network helps them and how they can contribute.
If there's a band you'd like us to hear, email us or send materials to:
Home Grown Music
6520 Oak Grove Church Rd
Mebane, NC 27302
Include your latest release for review and keep the press material to a minimum. All we really need is the music and the band's website and contact info.
Press clippings, reviews, stage plots, riders, etc. may never be looked at and will most likely go straight into the recycle bin, so keep it small and simple to save some trees!
Thanks for your interest in The Home Grown Music Network!
A handful of hard working independent bands have been chosen to join Leeway's Home Grown Music Network as a "Home Grown Band!" A very limited number of artists have received this invitation. Look over the information carefully and you'll see the many advantages of joining this great network!
The Home Grown Music Network is a network of independent bands working together to promote themselves to national success. The Network was formed in early 1995 by Lee Crumpton. Leeway's Home Grown Music Network members are continuing to be the talk of the independent music scene. Through this cooperative effort all of the member bands are gaining much needed national exposure plus the potential to drastically increase profit.
Here's how it works!
Upon joining the network you will be placed in the Leeway's Home Grown Music Network Catalog, which now exceeds 200,000 copies distributed annually. This will make your merchandise (CDs, T shirts, DVDs etc..) available on an international level. By calling our 800# anyone can order a free catalog or your products. This catalog will be distributed to independent retailers, reps, to member bands to give out at shows, and to people who call or e-mail requesting the catalog. Catalogs will also be placed in cooperating venues across the country - where your potential fans are checking out live music. The catalog will be updated every few months to allow for new releases, additional merchandise, and new members. This info and more is now online also! Our complete catalog is now available via secure e-commerce. We also handle e-commerce for dozens of affiliate sites including Jambands.com and Jambase.com!
Member bands participate in the Information Exchange & Database. Bands, managers, and agents pass along important contacts such as cool venues to play, DJs or radio stations that will play your music, press contacts and other helpful information. This information is compiled into our online database and is available to all members via the web. Example: You'll have quick access to lots of information. You'll have more opportunities to promote yourselves effectively, you'll get more gigs, and you'll sell more merchandise - just by taking a few minutes each week to utilize this resource. This database also contains information and contact details for over 450 Home Grown Reps - fans who volunteer to help spread the word about your band!
** We'll also create and maintain a page for you on www.HomeGrownMusic.net at no extra charge! ** Our web site features MP3 sound clips and links to back to your webpage. Our site also features online ordering through our secure server! www.HomeGrownMusic.net
Members will also be considered for future Home Grown Compilation CDs. We've released seven so far featuring artists like: Keller Williams, Umphrey's McGee, The Disco Biscuits, Strangefolk, Ekoostik Hookah, Deep Banana Blackout, Perpetual Groove, Lotus, RAQ, Garaj Mahal, The Motet and many many more.There is no additional fee to be on these compilations. Your band's name is sure to spread far and wide just from the exposure you'll get from these great discs!
Our HGMN listservs will also be available to members. This will help you communicate with fans, venues, talent buyers, booking agents, other bands and HG reps.
You'll gain lots of valuable exposure at the Home Grown Music Booth. Leeway's Home Grown Music Booth is a traveling information booth and music store. You'll find the booths at dozens of the nations best music festivals and concert events - taking the message and your music directly to the fans.
You can reach out to the music lovers of the world for less by advertising though HGMN...members receive a whopping 30% discount on print and web ads!
You also get:
- Your CDs setup in our system, warehoused & made available for mail-order and online sales
- International wholesale distribution to stores and major etailers like Amazon.com.
- CD announced in new release email to stores
- CD announced in newsletter two weeks in a row
- MP3 samples on our website.
- Optional digital distribution (Our service can get CDs on all the major outlets like iTunes, Napster, Rhapsody, Amazon, even on additional sites that CD baby doesn't cover: Emusic, AbstractLogix.com, LiveDownloads.com/nugs.net etc) Signed licensing agreement required. Request agreement by emailing us.
- A product review on homegrownmusic.net & review mentioned in newsletter.
- The inclusion of up to 500 postcards in outgoing orders OR choice of newsletter ad (1 week) or dedicated web ad (2 weeks). Week(s) of ad placement subject to ad space availability.
- A banner ad in rotation on website for duration of membership that will link to your products in our store!
- Access to our information database
- New HGMN member email to our email list
- HGMN membership + Radio Mailing Service. Your CD supplied to 100 of the best jam-friendly shows/DJs! Inclusion on our radio email list where DJs post their playlists and you can communicate with them directly. Also check out our weekly Radio Chart posted on our website. Add $450. Contact us for more details.
Here are some bands that have already joined Leeway's Home Grown Music Network: ALO, Assembly of Dust, The Big Wu, Bomb Squad, Brothers Past, The Disco Biscuits, Entrain, Furley, Garaj Mahal, Green Light, Hot Buttered Rum, Infradig, John Brown's Body, Keller Williams, Steve Kimock, Lotus, Mecca Bodega, The Motet, Natty Nation, New Deal, New Mastersounds, New Monsoon, Perpetual Groove, RAQ, The Recipe, Xavier Rudd, Scarecrow Collection, Signal Path, Sim Redmond Band, The Slip, Sound Tribe Sector Nine, Strangefolk, Tea Leaf Green, Umelt, Umphrey's McGee, Vinyl, Yonder Mountain String Band, Zen Tricksters and many more by the time your read this information.
Bands can join Leeway's Home Grown Music Network by invitation only. Only the most talented independent artists will receive this information. We will only consider bands who are consistently touring, have a good reputation, high quality merchandise, and they must really know how to JAM!